Sunday, December 27, 2009

Limitations of Lazing...

Most people I know have been hyper about their Christmas and New Year eve plans for a while. I've seen people with dreary eyes, dark hollows beneath their eyes running their fingers with a nervous twitch through their already frazzled hair murmuring "where do I go, where do I drink" in low yet persistent undertones since the beginning of November.

Staying in Bangalore, Christmas has suddenly become a very important milestone in the year. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the fat man in the red suit as much as the next guy but since my MSM days Christmas has never really been a great festival to be celebrated boisterously. But in the heart of IT country where all clients in the US and Europe go on vacation in this period, this festival is once again a joyous occasion for finishing off your non-carry-forward-able vacation time and put up your feet. But if you happen to be in town then there are a lot of cash-depriving stresses involved. Everyone you know seems to be willing to spend atrocious amounts of money just to be out somewhere partying, and then running helter skelter when they realise that the cops have spent the twelve months since last Christmas stocking up on those breathalysers that can discern the subtle whiff of that mild Vodka that you took 'for the road'.

Now I usually stay clear of these parties in hotels but have always managed to be at some or the other house party celebrating in the occasion. In fact I've also hosted some pretty interesting Christmas parties. Videos from such parties exist, but have safely been forgotten till a time comes when one of those who attended hits the big time and I can retire on the blackmail money alone. I am referring of course to the awesome Christmas party of 2007 that RB and I organized at Club 108 (our house number was 108). I could tell you more about it but it'll kinda defeat the chances of getting a good blackmail return when the time comes. All I will say is - I know where all of you are, and I'm following your careers with a LOT of interest :)

Anyway, this year a lot of my friends have been away and the long Christmas weekend has gone by way too lazily. Except for a nice Christmas special buffet at the Chancery Pavilion the remaining hours have been spent in the close vicinity of my house. In fact I can recall the number of times I've gone out of the house to 4.

And that's quite sad.

Though it has it's good points.

The weather has been very nice. Just that perfect bite in the air that needs a mild blanket to make you snuggle in for hours and hours. And that's what I've been doing - brilliant afternoon naps which transcend the universally accepted definition of 'nap' through sheer number of hours alone. Getting up, switching on the bedside table lamp, reading one of my two light books for the weekend, gently reaching that somnambulant state again when all you can manage is to turn off the light and slide away for another couple of hours. Ah Bliss.

But the human mind is such a strange object. Two days ago this seemed like a perfect state of affairs but today after my last afternoon nap i'm actually feeling a bit sad about this weekend. Completely bored by the lack of human interaction.

Yes, I will get up now, go out the door, meet people, see the world, enjoy myself...

Or, you know, if I can reach that switch again I could slip away for another couple of hours...

1 comment:

Parry said...

You are beating me hands down in laziness ;-) Let me give you tough competition on New year's 3 day vacation..but I think that weekend you might have active social life and I will be left alone at home for obvious reasons ;-)!