Saturday, July 31, 2010

Who did you say? The Doctor?

Knock knock
Who's there?
Doctor
Doctor who?
Exactly!

So as the rather lame knock knock joke tells you I've recently been fascinated by Doctor Who.

I remember as a kid I was introduced to the Doctor Who series of books by SR who used to live right behind my house. In fact I'd have to give credit to my two great childhood friends SR and MP. Both of them always had a lot of books-their relatives used to bring books as gifts just as mine bring shirts. And also my sister. She was brilliant academically and had a huge number of books she won as various prizes. I learned to devour books because of these two factors. Sadly, I'm not in touch with SR now and only intermittently so with MP. Ah, well, such is life.

Anyway, as you probably know Doctor Who books are about a Time Lord called the Doctor who travels across time and space in his beloved time machine cum spaceship TARDIS to have awesome alien adventures. He usually has a companion with him, mostly a wide eyed girl who eventually saves the day. Hang on, she doesn't save the day, but provides some insight which helps the Doctor save the day. No one can say the series is not about the Doctor!

Now another offshoot - I recently got myself a HD media player. This handy device has a 500GB storage and can directly connect to my TV so that I can watch all movies and TV series that I used to watch on my laptop on my TV. Very convenient and very easy. Its a recommended buy.

So how did this acquisition lead to my revisited fascination with Doctor Who? Well a colleague, well ex-colleague, had the first three seasons of the BBC produced series of the inimitable time traveler! I got the CDs, transfered them to my super cool media player and I'm set for a week of sheer laziness, curled up infront of the TV and cursing my decision to keep the fridge in the other corner of the room instead of within reaching distance from my vantage point. I've traveled with the Doctor from nearby solar system planets to faraway galaxies, from the ancient times to the very edge of the universe when all stars have died out. I've seen the Earth being devoured by the expanding sun and an ancient mechanism that trapped the Devil in orbit around a black hole. I've seen humanities greatest perils to humanities greatest victories. All. in.the.TV.series.

And now season 4 is being downloaded, and I'm stocking the fridge and trying to maneuver it closer to where I sit (aaarghh my back!). Come join me on more adventures. Drop by my apartment, but remember its BYOB*

*Bring your own beanbag

16122

No comments: