Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hmmppff...Hectic...Harry Potter...

First of all, my sincere apologies for not posting for such a long time. I think this has been the longest dry spells since I began this blog. My heart melts and tears dribble down my cheeks when I think of hundreds and hundreds of you innocent readers jumping out of bed every morning, an expectant twinkle in your eyes, reaching out with nervous fingers for your computers in a hope, oh a deep hope, that there would be an updation on my blog and your lives would have a spark of joy as before.

ok, about that, I DO check my visitor logs you know. Everyday two - three people checked to see if i've updated my blog. Is this the behaviour die hard fans should have? If JK Rowling stops writing the seventh Harry Potter would this be the reaction she'd get? People would be camping outside her house, with banners and candles and would beg her to start writing again. Ok, I wasn't looking for this kind of over the top response to my blog-non-updation - I'm more of a private person than Joanne - but two people? Just two people, thats really bad you know, and you should be ashamed of yourself. I find solace in the fact that maybe most of my regular readers probably saw my gtalk/orkut status message - I put up the name of my latest post/update there, sort of like flagging people to go read if there has been an updation - and seeing no change there did not bother to go to the main blog.

Anyway, the reason for ignoring cyber space for so long has been the one I promised would never affect my blog - work. I've been living a really hectic life since last to last Friday (Intelligent frequent visitors would calculate that the last post I did dates back to circa Thursday, a day before the Friday I refer to here). I've been in meetings that start at 9 and go on till 10:30 at night, I've been working on short deadlines with ambiguous expectations, I've been through quarterly reviews and am still to give a progress report presentation on another project today (Ideally I should be working on that presentation right now, but I just couldn't stop myself from writing something for MY sake rather than for work).

But I still managed to catch "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" this Sunday. Those who know me, know that I am a huge Potter fan. I have stolen the Potter books to read them, I have had those same books stolen from me in the hostel. I've read them so many times that I can speak along with characters whenever I watch the movies and can anticipate dialogues and actions whenever I watch the movies- much to the irritation of people watching the movie with me.

About this movie - Big let down. As the Potter books have started growing thicker, its becoming more and more difficult for the director to capture the essence of the books on celluloid in a mere two hours. Infinite budgets and resources are beaten by the two hour deadline. The movie is not even a speck on the book with thousands of nuances being missed. I know its really easy to disparage something, so I'll not dwell on this. The director had a really difficult job and he's tried valiantly to get the magic on screen, but its just too much to do. Fortunately my favourite scene in the book, when Fred and George make a break for freedom,in a blaze of glory, from the evil shadow of Dolores Umbridge , has come out really well.

My suggestion for the last movie- Don't put a time limit. Make it a 7 hour opus if need be. But stay true to the book. Don't worry about getting audiences for the last movie, you'll get enough people who'd be willing to spend 7 hours watching the movie - I know I will!

No comments: